Racing authority John (Salvator) Hervey commented: “It is the belief of the great majority of Turfmen – and a reasoned one – that Challedon… is one of the greatest Thoroughbreds ever seen in this country.
To the higher ground – let’s appreciate both Challenger & son Challedon by their influences upon superior racehorses noted further below.
Challenger by Swynford
Challenger (GB) from Sword Play, the maternal @ f.f.2.g distaff!
Important significance f.f.2g. belonging to influential ancestress SANDA. Her daughter Sierra by Springfield and her daughter Amphora by Amphion. I’m hoping pedigree students realize this earliest speed trait family to produce 1) Sundridge (Amphion – Sierra) being full brother to Amphora.
Plus, and more inclusive to the family – Sierra’s full brother Sainfoin, sire of Rock Sand, sire of Tracery. Sainfoin – broodmare sire of Phalaris.
The history and success http://One of England’s top 2-year-olds in 1929, *Challenger II was owned by Lord Dewar (of the Scottish whiskey fame), who intended to race the son of Swynford in the Epsom Derby. When Lord Dewar died in the spring of 1930, the colt was ordered withdrawn from all upcoming engagements due to English racing rules of the time. Brann and Castle reportedly paid $100,000, withthe intention of racing the colt in the U.S. and then retiring him to stud. 👉 *credit & full article*👈
Challenger – the English sire produced daughter – America’s champion mare Gallorette. Gallorette 6th dam & distaff to Gun Runner USA) by Candy Ride.
- Gun Runner sire – 4 from 4 & champion 2yo filly Echo Zulu & G1 winner Gunite
- colt, Pappacape from his dam (interestingly) f.f. 2h thru Kate Intent ( refer ***Dancers Image/Godswalk)
A leading sire in Argentina – Dancing Moss (1973) from Gallorette’s daughter Courbette. Courbette produced multiple G1 winner Babor (ARG), champion Argentina stayer Fain, G2 winner Fairly, 1979 Champion older male Farmer, and champion 3yo colt and stayer, classic sire Fatly,
- Challenger sired Legendra, dam of Mrs Peterkin by Tom Fool. She the dam of Sweet Alliance (Sir Ivor). Sweet Alliance produced $3.3. mill yearling buy Shareef Dancer (Northern Dancer) siring Colorado Dancer, the dam of Dubai Millennium (6×6 Challenger via Legendra & grand-daughter Flitabout – (sight similar *Success Express)
- Mrs Peterkin 4th desc. female distaff – Vertigineux, dam of Zenyatta (Street Cry)
- Mrs Peterkin grand-dam of Mizzen Mast (Cozzene), sire of 2yo & 3yo G1 winner Flotilla, Argentine sire Full Mast, & Hong Kong performer Giant Treasure.
- Grand-dam sire of Dancer’s Image (Native Dancer)
- Challenger’s grand-daughter produced Little Hut, dam of Habitat (Sir Gaylord) & Northfields (Northern Dancer)
- (5×6 Habitat) – colt, Epicenter by Not This Time (USA) – Silent Candy
*Success Express (Hold Your Peace – Auprintemps) (5×5 Challenger) through daughters Legendra & Gallorette.
Success Express sire of Al Akbar (AUS) sire of Vegas Showgirl (NZ) dam of Winx (AUS) by Street Cry
Success Express b/m sire of New Zealand’s 5x champion sire Savabeel (Zabeel)
S/Express – b/m sire Shamus Award (AUS) sire of Australia’s multiple G1 winner – Incentivise & South Australian Oaks winner Media Award, + multiple G1 winner Mr Quickie
* international performer – colt Cowan (USA) by Kantharthos – 6th dam by Challenger.
Dialled In (USA) – Challenger daughter producer of Prince Dare, 4th dam sire
- Dialled In, sire of 3yo Arkansas Derby winner, colt Super Stock
Challedon by Challenger from Laura’s Gal ex- Sir Gallahad
“You shall not cower in the dust,
Challedon, my Challedon.
Your gleaming plates shall never rust,
Challedon, my Challedon.
You stood off Johnstown’s vaunted rush,
You left Ciencia in the slush,
And we went home plenty flush!
Challedon, my Challedon.”
* credit above, article + Photos
Dubawi – Dubai Millenium (6×6 Challenger) – thru Seeking the Gold (Mr Prospector) from Con Game(3rd dam Flitabout by Challedon), her 1/2 brother Fast Play (Seattle Slew)
Reviewer (USA) by Bold Ruler, grand-dam Flitabout. Reviewer sire of Ruffian.
- Reviewer 5th dam sire to, high-class performer La Crete (Medaglia d’ Oro)
Liam’s Map son, new US sire – Basin (grand-dam sire Seeking the Gold)
*Challedon daughter Flitabout – 4th dam of Know Heights (IRE) sire of Princesca Carina (BRZ) dam of Brazil’s champion 3yo colt – George Washington (BRZ)
Know Heights (IRE) producer of 2006 Triple Crown and Brazil’s champion 3yo filly – Colina Verde (BRZ)
👉 + Brazil’s multiple G1 winner Coray, G1 winner Aviacion, 2x G1 winner & sire Ivoire, champion 3yo colt & sire Jeune Turc, Derby winner Negro da Gaita
A tale: Native Dancer sire – Polynesian or Challedon ?
This eyewitness account has Native Dancer’s dam Geisha, as difficult to load and transport. It was decided to walk her across and be served by Polynesian.
Working through each sire, lines and genetics, is to overview what presides upon ancestral elite.
These genetics are centred majorly to Brown Bess (1844) working thru Quiver/ La Fleche aka John O’ Gaunt (Swynford), Cinna (dam o Beau Pere), Uganda (dam of Umidar) and Maid Marian ) dam of Polymelus.
Musket, sire of Carbine is Quiver’s 3/4 brother. Carbine inbred 3×4 to Brown Bess + from Mersey/ Clemence/Martha Lynn f.f. 2h.
Polynesian’s grandsire by Polymelus has dam Brown Bess distaff. Polynesian’s b/m sire Sundridge (Amphion – b/m sire Springfield ) from Sierra aka Sanda f.f.2g
Challedon – the pedigree Challenger from distaff 2.g Sanda + citing, John O’Gaunt/La Fleche +Spearmint/Carbine/Musket + Trenton by Musket ie Musket 6Dx6D ie 3/4 brother Quiver/BBess.
(Sanda is inbred to the brothers Stockwell and Rataplan from Pocahontas (Glencoe). Note paternal grand-sire is Lord Clifden from The Slave aka Martha Lynn. )
– Kathleen O (Upstart – Quaver ex-Blame) 3 from 3 over 8f. Dam distaff Lorgnette/Gallorette + Seeking the Gold via b/m sire Blame pedigree here
Zuran Zuran (ARG) gr.colt (Remote (GB) – La Duran ex-Mizzen Mast ie Mrs Peterkin) 7 starts for 6 wins distance 2400m pedigree here
photo Credit here
you shall not cower in the dust, Challedon
all TBL pedigree information – Copyright.