I got a call from Waldo.
Waldo was excited.
His excitement was over two ‘new’ mares and ‘what would you mate them with’? One mare was recently purchased and the other, a 12yr hand-me-down.
Purportedly, hand-me-down was no good.
With some research on Waldo’s new hand-me-down (breeding records) I thought it appeared & horribly apparent the mare never had the right siring opportunity. To further her bad luck, it seems the same modus operandi is to continue.
– we’ll mate her with xxxxxx
Oh dear, Waldo… pet-food breeding tasks little reason.
The newly-purchased mare had 3-4 reasonable sire options, one of which was clearly more pedigree stimulating than the other selections. Problem … no.1 choice wasn’t really commercially electrifying.
Came… the uncomfortable impasse where I shut my mouth and attempted to figure out what Waldo really wanted – $$$$$, Group 1+ or I’m-telling-ya’ -pedigree, ma’am.
From all our discussions of the ups and downs of thoroughbreds, breeding, and racing…never came the basic question & clue: How does the female pedigree work?
Put it another way: how does a pedigree advance rather than merely doubling sire lines.
At sucking eggs, I agreed that Waldo’s own preferred choice; newest New Zealand sire on the circuit (Mongolian Khan) has great siring potential.
Take a read here, why superior genes arise. Ten thousand Diamonds: Mongolian Khan
I went over the M.K./broodmare ‘match’. It was evidently clear it all seemed quite wonderful. So obvious, so clear, so fine ‘in’ duplicate line.
Okay…Waldo, (I thought) it is enough BUT it’s not all the way striking where we want it as superior star-quality.
At The Thoroughbred Link, I maintain the Tradesman uses His Tools, the Best Way HE Can.
A breeder (though his philosophy) places His mares, at what has dominant worth; a value in the eye of the beholder which is entirely sensible to him.
Yet, I openly confess a struggle for the mare: for her unused potential because Waldo thinks breeding reliably is easy as tying boot laces.
True or false, one close-in duplication over another equals fantastic superior breeding.
All pedigree chart information stands on physical record and with it displays detailed reliability of dominant families. There is a map, its configurations, its imperceptible clues going-back & taking order overtime.
Waldo…please at least, go observing pedigree history with your own eyes.
There it lies… one cannot ever change the natural order of integral preference and inheritance in the mare’s DNA: it is to understand the travelling and on-going undercurrents of blood and type.
Atom is the key and is always the engine mechanic.
That is how outcrossing can work increasing success, more so than duplication. Hybrid the thoroughbred is, and genes (those strains) remember where they belong.
Nothing novel, to ancient matrilineal horse breeding of the Bedouins.
With example American Pharoah pows a ‘Grand Slam’ American Pharaoh pedigree takes the supreme female strain co-affiliation as model.
“….people weren’t going to go crazy about something (Pioneer of the Nile) that was unproven. ‘Oh’, Waldo said.
One fine day, Waldo meets Senor Federico Tesio on the street and asks, “Senor what is your best secret.”
Federico responds: In seeking an explanation for these “nicks” of certain bloodlines, we must first of all be careful not to take the word “blood’ in its original biochemical sense.
- ii) energic makeup is perhaps the result of harmonic combinations.
- iii) The same element of harmonic vibrations which determines the almost constant success of two given strains in the race-horse.
- Iv) selection is the element which has made the greatest contribution of developing the breed of the thoroughbred.
from Breeding the Racehorse by Federico Tesio
Waldo affirms – “Oh Senor Tesio well n’ fine…we’ll get a good horse soon”.
|The Thoroughbred Link interpretation of Tesio’s probing comments are as follows:
– In seeking an explanation for these “nicks” of certain bloodlines (bloodlines as ‘strains’), we must first of all be careful not to take the word “blood’ in its original biochemical sense.
– ii) energic makeup is perhaps the result of harmonic (co-affiliating female family) combinations. Combinations as complementary ‘dominant’ families
– iii) The same element of harmonic vibrations which determines the almost constant success of two given strains in the race-horse. The original foundational ancestral mares which co-exist as major constructive strains to this very day, where these affiliation patterns still generate oddly, same.
– iv) selection is the element which has made the greatest contribution of developing the breed of the thoroughbred. Recognized selective genes which take dominance and familiarity.