Eyes on any pedigree, TBL will identify dominating individuals and of ancestors that appear to possess X-factor inheritance and more so, the potential which has arisen through prior, judicious breeding.
– a further familiarization of fractional ancestors cannot go underestimated for it is these which provide an aggressive pre-potency. It is not always patterned, at close-quarter inbreeding.
– the specific appraisal, is to hinge the genotype, to a phenotype-prototype, for racing type superiority & thereof, its class.
Indeed, the A, B, C of breeding and an easy narrative beside every objective to its variance!
Stallion and bloodlines: – the tenon for inherent quality as encompassed by Industry (economics and production) where stallions influence production & breeders might evaluate breeding schedule through one sector below.
- scarcity-value (to preserve) limited availability
- elite-value (to conserve) black-type producers, ‘cyclic’ availability
- boutique-bred (prime market) self-governing, select, potential & opportunity
- investment corporation breeding (selective, prime market)
- commodity breeding (numbers & economy dependent)
- low-end breeding production – short-term transitory effect
By probing with readers, s.m. commentary and other….. there is a type of persuasion (?) where a newly purchased broodmare has requirements to produce immediate winners.
Indeed over simplified, yet a notion which holds magic.
Recently reviewing two pedigrees of contrast – one, ‘stamped’/renowned bloodlines and the other, a pedigree fallen away (by approx 2 – 3 generations) from its former breeding conductivity. The 2nd pedigree … (I thought) would take approx. 3 generations at least, to re-build where its 4th quality-performing dam went source-bred to European typology.
– what warranted the purchase ? Did category influence decision?
Any establishment upon pre-eminent bloodlines has the leverage…to go back to itself, through further production, the stock dependent on quality of sire, to HIS maternal lines.
Pre-eminence – Black-type producer.
The leverage towards pre-eminence, has the ability to improve, Ascend to the applied breeding-program designed, engineering the ideal prototype…benefiting specialization of racing career ability.
The category (criteria) & the breeding to precociousness – a 2 year prototype up on speed fits mostly to a specific market which requires ‘quick’ return.
The 3 year colt criteria, to be sire potential thereof, ‘breeding rights’ for investors is a highly-sought commodity and objective. The colt-training stallion-making G1 achievements establishes promises to come.
– the parameters shift to performance & performances with Timeform, time-rating (as speed productive comparable) which seemingly defines ‘speed’.
Humanity’s philosophy to speed for competitive breeding, versus judicious breeding which should be the imperative model to contemplate.
Competitive purposefulness: that quality breeding is synthesis ‘above’, rather than ‘bench-mark’ to a law of averages.
And idealistic it is – A responsible, breeding practice is to engage Improvement.
It is the balanced template for the constitutional robust providing speed and stamina ability.
as the ol’ man commented – when people drive past your farm, you want best on show.
The specimen you plan, you Get.
“if realistic economic assessment forces a radical reduction in the numbers of stallions, thoroughbred broodmares and mares cluttering up our paddocks and stud farms ….my view is that 30% of the equine breeding population in Australia and New Zealand should be culled or pensioned off” 1970 Ross du Bourg (Australian bloodstock writer and author of The Australian and New Zealand Thoroughbred.
Replace the unknown with Curiosity, not complacency – Anonymous